About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

What Looms Ahead 2

This post is going to expand a bit on what I was talking about in my last one, I'll go into a few more specifics this time. Believe it or not, I hate politics, and hate getting into the tangled web of corruption and lies it is. I utterly despise it, and yet it is a topic that I feel obligated to be informed on and to engage in discussion about. After all, is it not our duty as American citizens to practice our constitutional rights and inform ourselves of the goings on of our government? We the people are the ones who elect these guys and then pay into the system they run.

Sorry if my political rantings seem to have dominated my newest content, I've had all these thoughts going around my head ever since November. I figured this place was the best pulpit I have rather than blowing up everyone's Facebook feeds with this stuff. I guess you can say I'm just doing what I feel that everyone should be, engaging in political discussion. This is something that I don't feel like there is enough of these days. It's something we saw little of even during the presidential campaigns, which frankly is the biggest travesty of the whole damn thing. We have too much of a tendency to never discuss politics with each other because it does have a way of making tempers flare. This is why I use the term discussion, not debate or argue, but we should discuss what is important to us. Disagreements are inevitable, and part of what makes the political process work, but we must be civil and agree to disagree in many cases. I know politics and religion are the two things you're told to never talk about, and I feel that it certainly applies in many cases, but at the same time we should not be afraid to talk about it at all. We do have the legal right to, so why not exercise that right? The bottom line is talk about this stuff when it's not a terribly inconvenient or dangerous situation, and get at least a little political, even if you don't like it. Ignoring the problem is no longer an option, and it will never go away if we continue down the road of inaction.

Speaking of rights, and in light of the slew of hate crimes all over the place by Trump supporters, self defense is a topic I feel that I should touch on as well. It is something that I have taken action on myself in the past couple of months, and by action I mean I bought a gun, a 9mm conversion AR15 to be specific. Having grown up in the south guns are something that I've been around forever, and I was taught to shoot when I was about seven by my father. Gun rights are one topic that I can agree with republicans on, because honestly I find it fun to go out and do some shooting now and then. I also believe in the right to defend my life with deadly force should I be compelled to do so. I don't believe in going out and looking for trouble, just in the right to lawfully defend myself. I'm not telling you all to go out and buy a gun, if you're not into them, you're not into them. I do feel that more people in the lgbt community should learn to shoot and support gun rights though. I'm sure I'll catch flak for all of that, but it's just my opinion. What I guess it boils down to is the whole "if you can't beat em, join em", saying. Also I'm going to throw in the disclaimer to follow and obey your local laws pertaining to any of this, they're different all over the country, so know what the law is first.

These are scary times indeed, and it would seem that we have every right to be afraid. I don't care if you buy a gun, carry pepper spray, a knife, or learn martial arts, just have a means to defend yourself from the hateful people of this world. Too many people have been lost, and it's time that we say we're not going to take it laying down. I don't think many of these people are counting on the target of their hate to fight back, so if you do, you probably stand a good chance of scaring them off. This sort of ties into my whole political thing, at least in the sense of strengthening ourselves and our community for what lies ahead of us. Don't take shit off of anyone, and be a well informed and active participant in the political process of your country. In a nutshell you can say that pretty much is what this country was founded on.

We can speculate all we want about the next four years, but in the end all we can do is wait. No doubt exists in my mind that our community, and the whole cause of equality and progress itself, is going to be under attack like never before from right wing conservatives. I certainly hope that the worst case scenarios people talk of will never happen, and that in the end it won't be such a step backwards as it's seemingly going to be. Do not despair, and do not give up hope, the war is not over, and there are many battles to come. Progress will happen, even if we take a few steps back, this movement has momentum, and we will continue forward. Those who further the progress of hate will be revealed for the monsters they are in time, our job is to hold them accountable for their actions, and to not be silent about it. I'm as worried for the U.S. as anyone else, and yes, I have considered the possibility of having to leave the country if things get as out of hand as our imaginations believe it could get. That is a worst case scenario for me, but one that I am likely not to follow. If our country goes down the same road as the Nazis, make no mistake, I will stay and resist by any means necessary.

Anyway, I'm going to wrap this up for now, I've gone on long enough, and probably thrown in a few redundant points here and there. I'm on vacation for a while, but have nothing big planned, so I'll probably have time to do some more writing in the next week or so. I'm sure I'll have plenty to write about by the end of the week.

No comments: