About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Hard Times

I've been holding off posting this one for a while, but things are pretty rough at the moment. I still haven't managed to find work, and Stef lost her job a couple of weeks ago. That was a result of dumbass incompetent managers who wouldn't know a job well done if it fell into their lap. There was also some pretty thinly disguised discrimination involved in her being fired, but unfortunately the civil rights laws for Virginia are a joke, so without direct undeniable proof taking legal action is going to be damn near impossible. So now we're both out of work and the situation becomes more desperate.

I'm not sure what we're going to do if one of us can't find work within the next couple of months. The pressure is on more than ever now, and the jobs haven't gotten any easier to come by. We'll be ok for a while, but the bills don't exactly stop coming. I'm scared to be honest, but I guess I need to stay positive. We've both been getting interviews, her even more than me, so I guess its just a matter of time. I suppose its a good thing I had that rekindling of my faith just before all this happened, and probably why it did, to get me through these dark times.

Its just been a time where one thing after another goes wrong, some of which I won't be writing about. On the plus side I feel like it has brought Stef and I closer than ever, and I guess I can look at that as the silver lining. Its scary when you're future is so uncertain like this, but I know that eventually things have to get better. We just need to be strong and work hard to get to a stable position in life. I don't know what's going to happen in the coming months, but I hope its good for us both. She needed a better less stressful job, and this just makes it easier to move on to something that may be better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh honey I feel you... Like you I'm trans and live in the Fredericksburg area (Lake Anna) also. I'm thirty and have been out of work for over two years and I have a very versatile work history. It's maddening, how fast things can change before '08 I was turning down jobs but now I'm living with my parents again and unable to find work or afford HRT. I cry myself to sleep most nights. I feel like a shell of the person I used to be. God it's rough out there... I think I'm going to take my dad up on his offer and go back to school. Yep off to Germana for me this fall to get some more education I guess. I dunno I guess I've given up on finding a job for now. Some say I should be counting my blessings because I have a family that can afford me and have a full floor of the house to myself plus I'm healthy but I can't help but feel defeated. I'm sorry you can't go home and I will send some good thoughts your way. I hope you find something soon. My thoughts are with you.

Best
Cat

PS. If you ever want to chat I'm on Yahoo Messenger, cat.marki@yahoo.com

Sage Fallon said...

Sure, wouldn't mind talking sometime. My yahoo is heavy_metal_witch