About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman who also happens to have bipolar disorder. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that myself and others like me, face every day.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Doing What it Takes

I made it through the first week of work pretty well. I managed to put in a full 40 hours, something I haven't been able to do before. It wiped me out, but the weekend helped. We hung out with a friend after work Friday night and went to a few places around town. We checked out the art walk they have on first Fridays, which gave me a bit of inspiration. Then we went to a couple of bars, and I found out that a couple of vodka and redbulls will help wake me up to go most of the night. I still crashed when I got home, but it was worth it. We stayed home the rest of the weekend, didn't too much very special.

I've come to realize since I started working that it's really helped keep my spirits up. I knew it probably would, but I guess the fact that I found a job with people I enjoy being around really helps. I think I got more than I asked for in that sense. It felt kind of weird at first to suddenly be around people that all knew each other and were like a family, but I feel like I'm working my way into that. It's only been a little over a week and I already feel at home.

I just wish I could get more regular hours in. I managed to pull an 8 hour day today, but I'm not supposed to come back in until Thursday this week. The store hours changed around a bit since we opened, so I'm struggling to put in a full week now. I'm on call to possibly come tomorrow or Wednesday, and I'm hoping that I get called in. The more I work the more money I can make to help us out. I know me getting a job has helped Stef not stress out so much, and if I can put in a full 40 hours a week I know I can make enough to cover my half of the rent. Also I like having something to do all day, it keeps me from getting too bored. I've been pretty restless all night because I don't know what to do with myself for the next 2 days

I'm going to see if there's any chance I can work this weekend, I need all the hours I can get. I'm not allowed to work more than 40 a week, so I need to work all of them that I can. I know it's a bit much to want to jump from having no job to working full time, but it's what I need. I need the income to make things work, I don't want to go back to my grandparents. I don't care how tired it makes me at the end of the day, I'll do what it takes to take care of her and make sure we have everything we need.

2 comments:

Natasha said...

I'm glad you're enjoying your work, and I hope you can get the hours that you want.

Take care : )

Elizabeth said...

I know it might seem strange, being that Target is a big company and all that, but they won't usually call me in to work, unless I've called them a couple of times a week, at least. All I have to do is call in and see if they have any extra hours. This let's them know that I'm eager to work, and when they do have extra hours, regardless of whether or not I've called that particular day, they'll think of me and remember that I'm looking for the hours.

Don't know if this helps, but I thought I'd throw it out there for you. I'm really glad you like the job and the people. That's super important. Good luck in the meantime!

Love,
E.