About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman who also happens to have bipolar disorder. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that myself and others like me, face every day.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Crappy Saturday

So, yesterday morning we decided to go to into town and stop by a few places to pick up some stuff I needed. I also wanted to run by work and see if there was any chance I could put in a few hours if they were busy, and check my schedule for next week. We got up a little early so there would be plenty of time. When we got outside I noticed a small wet spot under the front of the car. I touched it with my finger and it was brown. We decided to put some coolant in just in case, since the spot wasn’t very big. We had been having a problem where the coolant kept getting low but we never noticed where any was leaking out. Her father had checked it out last month and tested it to see if it held pressure, it passed the test somehow. So we’ve been completely baffled at how a coolant system that holds pressure could be leaking coolant in such a way that we didn’t notice.

Anyway, we went ahead and stopped by Walmart first of all like we had planned. I wanted some insoles for the shoes I wear to work. When we finished up there and came out to the car and there was a big brown puddle under it. Needless to say at this point we knew there was most definitely a leak. We put more coolant in and took it to a service station to face the music. Of course there was a leak in the radiator and it needed to be replaced. From what the person quoted her at first we thought it would be around 450ish.

Her family picked us up and stayed at their house the rest of the day. Her mother talked her into letting her pay and we just pay it back later. Stef was worried about over drafting her account, so thankfully her mom really helped us out. It turned out to be a good idea; somehow the final cost was $655. I had already called my grandparents up and asked for 200 dollars to try to help the situation, so I guess that’s our first payment to her mom. I even went by work and tried to see if I could work the rest of the day, but that didn’t work. I need a second job, desperately. Thankfully the car is ok for now, but it’s just a matter of time before something else needs to be fixed. She’s considering getting a new car, but that’s a whole other story at this point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I'd be looking for a new service station to do my repairs, you should be able top buy new radiators all day long at NAPA for $200 or less and a maximum of $150 labor. Fortunately I can do the labor myself, but a $350 total is far better than the $600+ you paid.
DeniseD