About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Friday, July 22, 2011

A Good Weekend

Last weekend seemed to help out quite a bit with my stress level. At least for a few days I didn't have to worry about jobs and could just relax. I let Stef relax way more than I did, I looked at it as a time to go through some stuff I left behind and see what should come back with me.

I had to go to work with Stef that morning so we wouldn't drive around too much. I spent most of the day outside walking around the old town area in and out of antique shops. I mostly went inside that majority for the sake of cooling down and asking if they were looking to hire help. I checked at 7 different places and struck out at 6. This one vintage shop I went into seems promising though. They sell old vinyls, band shirts, sound equipment and stuff. The guy I talked to said that he wasn't hiring right now but would be in a few months. I gave him my name and number and he said he would give me a call when he's ready to hire someone. It doesn't help me out now, but I guess at the least it may be an option for later if I can't find anything by then or can take it if what I get is really shitty. I'm going to try to go back in there in a month or so and talk to him again.

Aside from the heat it wasn't a bad day for me. The promising job lead helped cheer me up some after getting turned down so many times. I found a coin shop that's pretty reasonable and decided to get a couple coins for my collection. One of my guilty pleasures I guess you could call it. Thankfully I spent all of a dollar on what I got. Nothing special, just a couple of steel pennies that were in ok shape. I figured I deserved something for my efforts.

Things went well at my grandparents. Like I said, it gave me a chance to relax for a bit. I got a chance to watch some cable tv for a couple of days, and do a little target shooting. I talked my granddad into taking me over to the county museum at the courthouse Saturday morning. I had been wanting to go there again since I found out that they had an archive that you could search through. I wanted to see if I could turn up anything about my family. I didn't find much, but I did find something.

I found two 140 some year old receipts for my 3rd great grandfather. One was from 1869 and the other from 1870, and the best part was I got to handle the originals. They were in a folder full of other receipts from the same year so I had to search through them all to find them. What amazed me the most was the condition they were in, if the ink hadn't turned brown and the paper yellowed I would swear they were written yesterday. The paper was still in that good shape.

The oldest I believe was written by his boss for a paycheck, and judging from the different handwriting I think he actually signed it himself. It makes me think that even more because the newest one was written in the same handwriting as the signature, so I think he wrote that one out himself. To me it's as close a connection as I'll ever be able to get to an ancestor who lived that long ago. I got to hold a document that at one time he would have held and signed himself. I got a copy of them for 25 cents, but it was worth far more than that to me.

Getting back on track, we also got to go hang out with my best friend while we were there. I had been wanting her and Stef to get a chance to meet for a while now. It went well thankfully, and the two of them got along great. I was worried a little since she hasn't liked anyone else I've ever dated, although in hindsight I probably shouldn't have liked them either. I got a chance to catch up with the rest of the family on Sunday too, and it gave me a chance to share what I found the day before with them.

It was a good weekend for me, and it helped lift my spirits a bit from how they had been. I think we both enjoyed ourselves. I've been inspired to draw up a family tree sometime that I want to donate to the archive at the museum the next time we go see my grandparents. This week has been a back to reality sort of one. It's the same old unemployment grind day in and day out. Put in several applications a day and hope for the best. I'm up to 60 now and still going, I hope I find something soon.

2 comments:

IWASNTBLOGGEDYESTERDAY said...

nice to see you relaxed and enjoying yourselves.

Good luck witht he job hunting,its damn hard these days.

I love that you fiund something tangible of your gggfather. I love history and have done my own tree, its great to find these treasures.

Elizabeth said...

I like hearing that you were able to relax and do some of the things you wanted to. I'm also glad Stef went with you and met your friend. The vintage store sounds cool, and it would be a neat job to have, I think.

It's so amazing that you got to actually touch and hold those little pieces of history... your history, at that. The connections are important.

Keep at it, Sage, something will happen and it will be good. Sending good thoughts your way,

With love,
E.