About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

DADT

I'm rather late posting anything about this, but I feel like talking. My lack of an earlier posting pretty much boils down my reaction to it being repealed. Good for them, but it does nothing for me. Don't get me wrong, I think someone who's gay should be able to openly be so in the military without fear of being discharged. However, what gets to me the most is how it suddenly came out of nowhere and eclipsed ENDA. DADT effects a very specific group of people, the military. Anyone that's not in the military is pretty much unaffected by it. Personally I feel that the good of everyone in the country should come first. I'm happy for the military, but meanwhile I'm still jobless. The Republicans have congress again and are about to fuck things up even worse than they already were, and ENDA is virtually dead again. I've seen so much bullshit out there from people who claim that us trans people are the reason for ENDA's failure to get anywhere yet. I'd like to point out to anyone who thinks that the many times it came up for vote and never passed before gender identity was even considered. My official like statement regarding DADT's repeal? Congrats to the military for their win, for the rest of us I say rest in peace ENDA, I hope to see you again one day.

3 comments:

Medea Leon said...

I don't think I've blinked once since reading this. I've been unemployed since January 010 myself and was turned down for a job (I was at first was offered)recently because I'm TG. It's very hard to see it from our perspective unless you've gone through it, but it's real. I have a great resume and a degree and I can't find anything.

Dani said...

I agree! DADT repeal does NOTHING for trans, it doesn't even do anything for non military g's and l's, all it does is address the problems of a tiny fraction of a small minority. ENDA would've had a greater positive impact in the lives of all g, l, b, and t. Would it have been a ''silver bullet''? No, but it would've been a good start! Sadly, ENDA is probably dead for the next decade or more unless we can get repubs on board, unlikely at best.

Dani xxx

Grace said...

Sweetie, you live in Virginia. VA is Right To Work state. People in any of the 22 right to work states would not be greatly benefited by ENDA as an employer does not need to give a reason as to why an individual's services are no longer required.

ENDA looks really nice on paper but I think too many people are building their hopes up that it is actually going to accomplish a lot. DADT, as it turns out, was a winnable battle.