About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman who also happens to have bipolar disorder. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that myself and others like me, face every day.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Transgender Day of Remembrance

It's that time again it seems. Sadly there are still new names to add to the list of transgendered people who have been murdered in the past year. I wasn't able to attend any formal services for the day of remembrance today due to prior engagements and financial issues, but if nothing else I feel like I need to write something on here. I don't know what exactly to say, but never forget those who have been taken from us by hate. It hits home especially hard for me this year, I was in the area near Philadelphia earlier today only to learn after I got home that a trans woman, like me, had been murdered there just last month. I'll be honest, it creeped me out to know I was that close by to one so recent. There was one in North Carolina too, even closer to where I live than Philly. It does worry me at times, but I will never live my life around the fear that I will be attacked for being trans. I am who I am, the same as any of those who were killed. Rest in peace brothers and sisters, you will not be forgotten so long as there is still breath in my body.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

You're a good girl, sweetie! :-)

Melissa XOXO

Amy K. said...

What a nice post. Thank you, Sage.

Name: R Bohannon said...

Proud of you. Glad we've still got ya. <3