About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman who also happens to have bipolar disorder. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that myself and others like me, face every day.

Monday, July 12, 2010

No Luck Today

Today was both a good and a bad day for me. I went to a couple of galleries in Williamsburg to see if I could stir up any interest in my artwork at all. The first place I went the guy said they just didn't have the space to display anything else for now, but he did suggest a couple of places to check out that dealt a bit more in original paintings. Luckily one was just a few doors down and I went there next. Talk about intimidating; I walked in the door and there are these two guys that I'm sure are at least in their 50s, pretty well dressed, and looked like your classic art critics and dealers. They didn't deal in photo prints, so I never got to show my photography portfolio, and at first he didn't even want to take a look at the pictures of my my paintings on my camera. I didn't give up and he said he would take a look at a few since I was there already. He seemed a bit impressed by the beach scene that I did, but said they didn't really deal that much in local art, but gave me the names of a couple of people at 2 other galleries that he thought would be more interested in my work. One was the same as the first guy gave me, so apparently these other places deal more with local artists.

I was kind of disappointed, but I told the guy that I was just trying to see what my options in the area are and trying to get a start. He said don't stop looking to keep trying, and wished me good luck, so I guess it's still a bit up in the air. I really need to get to work on more paintings. Today's experience proved to me that I'm going to make a much better impression if I show up with paintings in hand rather than pictures of commissioned works that I no longer have. I have a couple of canvases still and enough money to buy a few more, so it's all about getting ideas now. I'm not giving up on this, 2 galleries is hardly enough to say there is no interest at all in the area. I'm going to get turned away before things really take off anyway, so I was prepared for it. I can at least get some information and advice from people along the way though. Things will take off, it's just going to take some time.

The good thing about today is that I was able to do a bit of shopping with my commission money. I got my hormones for the month, and then hit up a couple of thrift stores. I got a pretty nice shirt and even nicer brand new pair of dress pants for less than 5 bucks, and a nice skirt at the second place for 2. I can definitely put together a good job interview outfit now, or even use it for taking my stuff around to galleries to look more professional. I picked up a small little table top tripod for my camera for a couple of bucks. It's not much and it's cheap, but it's something, so I'm giving it a chance. The best buy of the day though was a nice aluminum portable easel that I got for 20 bucks. It's fucking awesome considering I was using a drum stand and music stand to sit my canvases on when I was painting before. I love it, I can fit up to a 33" canvas on it, and lock in place so nothing wobbles around or falls off.

In all it was a good day, in spite of the small disappointment with the galleries. Hopefully things take a turn for the better for me soon. For now I'm going to get to work on some more paintings and work on refining my photography portfolio a bit more. I'm headed to Richmond tomorrow night, so maybe I can check a few galleries out while I'm there. I guess we'll see what happens.

No comments: