About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

A New Addition to My Work

I finished a new painting last night to add to my transition series. I did it on an 11"x14" canvas so it was too big to scan, at least on my scanner. I was forced to take a picture instead, which has been giving me mixed results. I've got a picture of it, but the left side may seen a little too dark. Trust me though, it looks a lot better in person and not quite so dark to the one side. Anyway, here it is.

I made it as a perspective image to show what the girl in the first painting would see in front of her. It's mostly a representation of how much of a choice it was for me to decide to transition. I hate to hear people say that what I'm doing was a choice, so this is my answer to that accusation. I'll attempt to get a better shot of it at some point, I have to get the lighting just right or it comes out too dark or took bright.

I plan on trying to do more work soon. I've been studying my influences a lot lately, so I've been looking up artists that I like and looking at their work to get some inspiration. I like to consider myself a bit of a modern day impressionist, but it's hard for me to really put a label on my painting style. I have so many influences in a few different styles, so it's like a combination of impressionism, expressionism, symbolism, fauvism, and surrealism. That's just naming main "isms" that I gain inspiration from. I'm experimenting with some different stlyes lately, as you can probably tell by my last painting. I went more expressionistic and less subjective with it, mostly since I was trying to convey a feeling more so than any kind of asthetic appeal. Oh well, with any luck I'll have some more work to show in the next couple of weeks.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I really like it as I did your last painting. I can't wait to see what you do next.