About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Friday, June 25, 2010

My First Commisson

I just finished and was paid for my first commissioned painting today. It was for my grandparents so I only asked for 20 when I'd charge just anyone around 40 or 50. They get the family price since they did buy me the canvas and some paint too. I'm not asking for too much for the ones I'm doing now since I'm still growing as an artist. My techniques hasn't really been fully refined yet, so I'm reluctant to go too high on my prices. I'm hoping some family member I do one for has a friend or someone that wants one so I can charge full price and not feel guilty about it. I stand to make 30 one the one for my aunt next week and another 15 from my mom. It's not going to pay for surgery or anything, but for now it's money in my pocket to pay for hormones and whatever else I need until I can start charging more. Oh well, if anyone else on my dad's side of the family asks for one I'm jacking the price up a bit more. They criticize my being TG so they pay extra. Anyway, here's a picture of my work.
Photobucket
Nothing special, but it beats the hell out of what some of my other money making options are. At this rate I should be able to get some stuff in a few local galleries.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Just a suggestion, but are there any local festivals, where you can display your artwork for sale? Richmond has the annual Arts In The Park, in Byrd Park around the Carillon, but that won't happen again until next May. Pictures on a watermelon theme would go over big at the Carytown Watermelon Festival in August. Maybe the Oyster Festival in Urbanna in November would be a good venue too.

Melissa XX

Sage Fallon said...

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm thinking of giving that a try. If I can get some prints of my photography I may be able to sell those too. :)