About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman who also happens to have bipolar disorder. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that myself and others like me, face every day.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Searching for Opportunities

I know I haven't posted in a while, things have just been a little weird for me. I've been taking the progesterone that Megan had given me, and it's been about two weeks. That's really thrown my moods off lately, so I didn't want to make a bunch of depressing posts. I wanted to just go ahead and use the meds since I have them, no point in letting them sit and go bad. It's only a few months worth, but maybe it will help the boobs grow a bit more. They aren't kidding when they say depression is a side effect. I'm starting to do a little better now though, but I guess I'll have to put up with it for a while.

I also decided to make an attempt to apply for food stamps and see about getting into some kind of housing program. I found one called Virginia Supportive Housing that I could probably qualify for, but unfortunately they have no open spots. My therapist wants me to at least call back and leave a message to see if I can get a screening and see about getting on a waiting list or something. I hate going that route, but it's better than not even trying I guess. The food stamps I should easily be able to get, then if the housing thing works out I have food covered. I'm getting really restless about not having a job lately, so it's pushing me to keep looking for options.

I found a TG organization that can make small grants to TG people to help out with transition related expenses. They're only between $50 and $1400, but it's something. I sent an email in to see if I can get one to help me out with buying my hormones. It's only $22.99 a month for me, so it wouldn't have to be a huge grant. I'd be happy with enough to cover me for a year. I haven't heard anything back on that yet, but I'm hopeful about it. I definitely should qualify. I'm unemployed and living with family because I can't afford a place of my own, so I hope that's enough to get it for me.

I don't know what exactly to go about doing, I'm just looking at my options and trying to make something work. I have my doubts about finding a job in this town, there just aren't that many. I need to move to Richmond, even in a bad economy I have more job opportunities there than here in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure where any of this will take me, but I guess I'll find out in the coming weeks.

2 comments:

Michelle Marie said...

I feel so bad for you right now. I was hoping that things seemed to be going well and I was happy for you. From your blogs I thought that you were having some success at your photography to support yourself. Unfortunately, as usual I turn things around to myself and am now depressed because I am afraid that there is now chance for me if you are having such a hard time. You really seem to know what you need and I hope that you don't give in to the hardships. You are young and you have a lot of opportunities that will come your way. Hang in there, things will get better!

Sage Fallon said...

Thanks Michelle, I'm hopeing things take a turn for the better with me soon. I've avoided bringing the subject up lately just for fear of seeming to complain too much. I'm sure you'll do just fine, it's mistakes I made in the past and the area I'm in that are holding me back right now.