About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hate Within the TG Community

Recent events have inspired me to write about something that isn't talked about often, hatred inside the TG community. Specifically I want to address the issue of non constructive criticism and harassment. Me and Megan have had our differences, but I for one see no reason that we can't all be civilized about it and put it behind us. Every member of the TG community should stand by the other, we're all ultimately moving towards the same goal. We do what we do in order to be our true selves, we want to be at peace with ourselves and find some level of acceptance in life. We're all on the same side when you break it down into black and white. We deserve to be treated equally under the law, we deserve to be ourselves, and we deserve to do what makes us happy in life. I like to think that I do my part to join in the fight for our civil rights, but I realize that I now must address this issue that I've come across as well. My point is, if we're all on the same side, why do we argue and fight amongst ourselves at times? Politics is easy to argue about, but to criticize other trans people about how they live their lives and even how they look seems childish and highly unproductive to our cause. I got some comments earlier today that exemplify what I'm talking about.

"since you have to approve this now you have to read this.. bahaha. Your really stupid and you dont realize that. Stop talking about megan, delete the shit she dont want on there. and guess what after you do that, she wont care anymore. you stupid troll. (Anonymous) 10:47 AM

Delete the shit about megan you half man half swamp rat looking troll. And you will be left alone. (Anonymous) 10:48 AM"

I know who these were from, and I know it's from another trans person. The situation with Megan has gone too far and then some. It upsets me to think of any trans person treating another in this way. We have so many things to put our time and effort into that can benefit us, yet some see fit to turn that time and effort into destructive and unhelpful things such as the above quotes. I find it shameful that something like this could happen, as it reflects badly on us as a whole. I support the right of everyone to do what makes them happy, and therefore I support the right of every trans person to do what makes them happy. We need to support each other, put petty differences aside and stand together. We may not always agree with the beliefs and choices of everyone in the trans community, but hate isn't the answer. I have a feeling that this isn't just isolated to my experiences. My question to my readers is, has anyone else experienced anything similar?

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Sage, I told you we should start a group to stop trans on trans violence. I still think it would be a good idea to bring that issue to the awareness of the TG community. Even though I'm in the womb stages of my transition I still fear thing that might get said to me in public or by other trans people knowing how some people can be.

Elizabeth said...

Sage, I'm so sorry that you've been targeted in such a cruel way. In a perfect world, all humans could get along and not only tolerate, but accept, the differences in others. Sadly, we don't live in a perfect world and even people who are in the exact same demographic can find reasons to hate their peers. I desperately wish this were not so. That's why I believe the most important thing is to believe in yourself.