About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hate Within the TG Community II

Thus my point is proven. I caught this comment last night just in time to grab it for an example too.

“dude, you are completely nuts. I live in the real world, where people mind their own business and if they dont, they get shit for it. Maybe you should stop living in this fantasy world where people hold hands and lick each others butts. It dont exist it never will. By your logic i should be nice to every white person out there because they are white like me. Thats bull and you know it. In no way will i ever just be nice to someone because they are trans, that dont matter to me. a human is a human is a human.. and out in the real world we live by certain unspoken manners that we all live by. Atleast DECENT people live like this. The rest, like you, go on thinking they can say whatever they want about other people and feel its justified. I think your Ego owns you. Post this whore. (Anonymous) 11:29 PM”

My response to this is? Firstly, I live in the real world as well. I live in a world where people mind their own business until someone else goes out of their way to assault mine. When that happens, it is my business, especially if it’s getting sent to my blog. Stop putting your “business” on my blog or sending it to my phone if you don’t want it written about, and stop reading if you don’t like what I have to say. I don't like what neo nazis have to say, so I don't go to their websites, thus I don't leave hate mail, I simply avoid them. It's a pretty simple concept to grasp, easy too. You simply don't look at my blog, your personal problem is solved, you can go on thinking whatever you want about me.

Secondly, my logic is the same as anyone with an ounce of common sense. If you treat people well they’ll stand behind you in tough times. Make allies not enemies. An eye for an eye just leaves the whole world blind. Society will never be perfect, that is correct, but I am a person that seeks to better it in some way. The trans community has better things to do for itself than infighting. ENDA is still stuck in congress, trans people are still being murdered and discriminated against all the time, and transition is still not covered under most health insurances just to name a few. I’d say we have plenty of injustices to put our time and effort into righting, not insulting other people who are trying to do the same thing. If all trans people work together towards those common goals, we’ve got an army of people.

Finally, people like me believe in the first amendment, freedom of speech and everything, you know? So long as it’s not outright slander, I have a right to say it, and in this case someone else saved me the time and effort and said it for me. I just had to quote it. Who has the bigger ego, the one who goes out of their way to read a blog they don’t like only to leave insults, or the one that takes the deplorable actions of others and uses them as a teaching tool? You dear readers can be the judge of that. I am by no means perfect, nor do I seek to be perfect. I am a person that is as fallible as the next, but I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong and apologize if anything I have said or done hurt anyone.

This attempted comment is a shining example of the hate within the TG community I described last night. It’s shameful, and says a lot about this person. This is the kind of inner turmoil that is detrimental to our cause, and a bad reflection of our community to the world. It’s going to happen whether I like it or not, that I accept. I do, however, refuse to sit idly by and say nothing to bring it to the attention of the public. If for no other reason than to say not all of us are like this to those who know little to nothing about us. I would like to thank my readers for standing behind me during such a slanderous attack. I would also like to thank this person that has been leaving such hateful comments; they make great inspiration for my writing and harden my resolve. However, this is the last time I make such a post regarding this situation. After this post it will serve no purpose other than give this person the attention they seek. I have more important matters to attend to and write about than some bitter attention seeking hate monger.

Tears
I used to cry for what I didn't have,
until I realized others had far less than I.
I used to cry for what I lost,
until I realized others had lost far more than I.
now I cry for a world that is full of hate and pain,
a world it seems has gone mad.
I have cried for this much longer than the rest,
and it hurts me far more deeply.
now it seems as though I have come to an impasse.
I find myself no longer able to cry,
no longer able to shed those tears for the world.
what do you do when you run out of tears?

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."- Harvey Fierstein

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Good job Sage, don't give the person who's trying to leave hateful comments the benefit of the doubt.If you ignore them, they will get bored and stop. I find it sick that someone is doing and that they have nothing better to do with their time but insult you for being who you are.I'm sticking by you on this because hatred in the trans community needs to stop, I'm not saying we all need to hold hands and sing "We Are The World", but it's hard being trans enough as it is and to have another trans person cut you down doesn't seem right. They should put themselves in your shoes and see how it would feel if they were on the other end and getting insulted for them being trans. Think before you speak trans or not there is too much hate in the damn world. Your blog made a difference to me and I hope it makes a difference to others as well.

Laura Bennett said...

Not all transpeople will get along, its too much to ask. My therapist constantly reminds me that being trans is only a small part of who I am and tells me to quit seeing the world through trans glasses. People are different, sometimes extraordinarily different even when they share a common thread.

They can still support the trans political movement without supporting you or me for that matter. Although I would give anything to see the dream you've painted come true, the truth is that's its a little too "ivory tower" in its conception.

In another vein, I am really sorry that you've had to deal with such cruel people, we're not all that way. Forget them and move on, there's plenty of mean people out there to choose from, which makes none of them special.

Elizabeth said...

Wow. "We are the World" and "Ivory Tower" Two 80's references in one comment section... I'm in heaven! Anyways, you know how I feel, Sage, and I'll always stand up with you and for you, if need be.

p.s. sounds like you need to take a break and get out and do some "Dirty Dancing" :)
I couldn't resist... love you, Sage!

Sage Fallon said...

Thanks for the support everyone. =)