About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Frustrations and Successes

Well, this has been a trying, yet somehow productive week. I called the voc rehab place on Tuesday, I forgot Monday was a holiday, but things got frustrating really fast. They told me the Williamsburg office doesn’t cover my area, which makes no sense to me since I’m only about a 20-minute drive away. It’s about 15 miles on a straight measure, but the roads twist and turn a lot. I explained this to them, but the decided to tell me to call the Henrico office. That’s at least an hour away from me I told them, but they said they were the one that covers my area. I call the fucking Henrico office, tell them where I’m from, they don’t cover my area either. They tell me the Warsaw office covers my area. That isn’t much better; it’s probably 45 minutes to an hour to get there too. To make it even worse, Warsaw is right in the middle of hickville. I didn’t even bother calling them that day; I needed to ask my grandparents first if they would take me that far. Of course they said no when I asked them. I talked to my therapist about it on Wednesday and she told me to just call the main office and ask them to look up which office I need to call. I did that yesterday; unfortunately it is the Warsaw office. I managed to convince my grandparents to take me that far if I get an appointment, but they said they would only do it once. I called there and got everything set up. They have to mail a packet thing to me to fill out about my situation, and then I mail it back to them as soon as possible. I should get a call back from them at some point after they get it to make an appointment. As if to drive the hickville point home, the person I talked to had a very thick southern accent. I can only imagine what I’m about to walk into on this one. Oh well, I need a job, so I have to take help where I can find it. I hope I don’t get any trouble from them; it is their job to help me find a job after all. At least I know I’ve got something to look forward to at this point. If I just make it to the appointment it’s a step in the right direction. On the plus side, I made another painting that day. I decided to turn the first one I finished into part of a series of three paintings to represent my transition. So far I’ve got the before transition and during transition ones finished, I’m working on the third one for looking towards the future. Finishing that first painting seemed to spark my inspiration again, and it feels so great to finally have it back. I had been trying to get inspired to write for months, but I guess it was my art all along that I needed to look toward for inspiration. All I know is I have more painting ideas right now than I can do at once. I don’t know what’s going to come of all this, but at least I feel like I’m doing something right about my job situation.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Keep your chin up, sweetie. It sounds to me like you're doing everything right, and that's usually when the universe steps in to shit all over you :)