About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Transgender Day of Remembrance

I'm a little late getting this up, but it's something worth writing about to me. I'm sure most people who are reading my blog know that this past day was the International Transgender Day of Remembrance. I never really know what to write or say for it, nothing really seems to ever say it all. I looked at the list over on transgender.org earlier for 2009, I always hate looking at those lists, but I felt like I should. It was sickening to see the number of people on that list from this past year, compared to last years list. It was around 30 to 32 or so last year, and if this year's list is correct, the number is 134. I can't say I know if that figure is 100% correct, but if it is, that means there's been a little over a 100% increase in anti TG violence in the last year. Honestly, that scares the the hell out of me, but it angers and saddens me more than it scares me. I will never be able to comprehend what would make anyone kill another for being something they have no choice to be. I hope I never will understand that, because life is too short to spend it senselessly hating people. I just wish more in this world could see it the way I do. I can't even begin to explain how much emotion is stirred in me every November 20th. I don't look forward to it, because until the day that list is blank for the past year, I know we still have so far to come towards acceptance in this world. Sitting here writing about it isn't going to further our cause though, and neither will reading those names or anything anyone else writes about it unless we stand up for ourselves. We had one hell of a victory last month with the passage of the hate crimes bill, but we have so much more still to fight for. The work towards that goal doesn't start on capitol hill, it starts with each and every one of us who decides to not be ashamed of being TG. It starts with every one of us who decides to stand up for ourselves in the face of those who seek to demean us. It starts with us all, and whether or not we choose to hide our true selves, or to embrace them. Remember those who have been taken from us as a result of senseless violence, it's up to us to speak for them now. It's up to us to speak out for them and ourselves, because we don't deserve to live in fear. It's ok if you're not to the point of being ready to take a stand publicly, but those of us who are ready and willing to most definitely should. It doesn't matter how big or small that stand is, if you make it, that's one more strike against the hate we face. We can't let these deaths have been in vain, they must be our inspiration to fight back. So let this day be not only one of reflection and remembrance, but let it also be one of inspiration to move our cause forward. It's up to each and every one of us to do so, one person can make a difference. Rest in peace brothers and sisters, we will not forget you.

No comments: