About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman who also happens to have bipolar disorder. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that myself and others like me, face every day.

Friday, October 30, 2009

Tattoo

I finally got my tattoo tonight! Here's some shots of it.

Done by Devin at Liquid Metal Tattoo in Shacklefords VA. Yes, that is a plastic sandwich bag taped over it. He ran out of plastic wrap on me.


The best I could take myself holding the camera behind my back and lining it up in a mirror, I'm getting someone else to take a better shot for me later. It looks way better in person when I'm not turning in an awkward position. The pictures don't do it justice.


This was the original design I made. It came out a bit different than this, but I still love it. I think what he did gave it a nice tribal look.

I let the shop apprentice do it, so it ran me 100 even, but it was well worth it. My friends were trying to scare me about the pain before the guy started, and when he did I asked if that was it? I think I surprised them with that, it didn't really seem that bad to me for the most part, other than when he went over my spine. I flinched twice during the hour and a half it took to get it, at the top of the pentacle and the top corner of the crescent on the right. I was enjoying the conversation I was having with the people who worked there so much I wished it had taken longer. I pretty much spilled everything about my religion, past history with depression and suicide, and that I'm TG. They really seemed to show me a lot of respect for being up front and honest about that stuff. They were curious about it all, not really critical of me at all, even said they thought I was brave for transitioning and wanting to go the whole way with it. They said I was a lot of firsts for them, so I know I made an impression on them also. I'm glad I decided to go there, it was great meeting people that open minded within walking distance of where I live. With any hope I may get more tattoos in the future, I guess time will tell.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love it! I love what it represents and I love how it came out. The diagram looks too clinical. I think the way he did it, with the bolder lines and the minute asymmetries serve to make it look more authentic. As we both know, sometimes we don't get accepted by the people we thought most likely to receive it from, but I've come to find more acceptance in places I never would have dreamed I would...

You rock!

Karoux said...

wow looks really nice!
sounds like a good place to get a tattoo :)

Anonymous said...

The human form is beautiful. I am among the majority of citizens who support your right to deface your body, while wishing that you would not do that sort of thing.

Millions are hoping that this fad of getting "tramp-stamps" or facial and other piercings will soon fall out of favor.

Your transition diary is otherwise a great asset to those who are considering that journey. I recently read that a UK researcher has identified what he believes is a "transsexual gene anomaly" that will help provide substantial proof that transsexualism and the desire to become female, is based on a biological fact and not merely a psychological condition.