About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman who also happens to have bipolar disorder. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that myself and others like me, face every day.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Looking For A Job

I went to look for jobs in town last Tuesday after my therapy appointment. The only problem, practically no one is hiring. I tried 8 different places, and half of them I showed up there in person to ask about getting a job. 3 of them just weren't hiring, 2 told me to go online and apply, and the last few I checked online at home later only to find that they weren't hiring. I'm going to try Radio Shack, but since no one in this town leaves their jobs, I'm not too hopeful. I'm just about down to trying the 4 fast food places, which I'm saving as last resorts. I guess after getting my first job in a photography studio, fast food feels like it's beneath me, not to mention it's what my mom does as a job. I don't have anything it really, I guess I just feel like I should be able to get something better than that by now. I guess it also has something to do with not wanting to go the same route as my mom. I'm not giving up though, I'll do a job I hate until I can find one that's better. I'm checking everywhere I possibly can, I won't give up. I just have to accept that it's going to take a little while to find anything in this town. All I can really do is just keep trying, and check the same places every week or two and see if there are any openings. I will find something, I'm not stopping until I do. I did find out the other day that I have 350 dollars more than I thought I did, so I'm better off financially than I had myself believing. I've also got a bit of a crush, if you want to call it that, on another trans girl I'm friends with. I'm not sure where that's going to take me, but that's a story for another time, I could make a whole post just on that.

2 comments:

Amy K. said...

I know how you feel with the job situation. Since I moved here (Michigan) two years ago, I've been jobless. I have been looking, and in the meantime, I'm watching me and my fiancee's kids. Most of the time she says I play a vital role, and without me, she wouldn't be able to have a job herself. Today, however, she accused me of sponging off of her and using her. She made me feel like such a loser. Sometimes I want to just leave her and go back to New York. I'm pretty sure one of my old jobs would hire me back, since I was such a good worker. I would have money again to finish electrolysis, save for GRS, and my self-esteem would probably go back up to what it used to be. But I would be so lonely without my love.

I'm sorry I used your blog to vent. I would love to hear about your little crush. Anyone I know? Fellow blogger, perhaps? ;)

Shauna said...

Boy it seems like we all are going through the same thing, I am in Chicago and for the life of me I can not get work. As a Network Engineer with 20 yrs field service you would think I could get a job anywhere, not so even in the retail world I am over qualified. Been 1 year this month I have been off of work and I don't like it. My hrt has been put on hold as well as my transition til I can afford it.
Just keep pounding the job scene something will pop up.

Sorry for taking so much space :-)