About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Real World

I've never been one to watch a lot of reality TV, but when I heard that a trans woman is on the MTV series The Real World I had to check it out. I'm not sure what exactly I was expecting. Maybe someone who had transitioned pretty young and was passable as hell. But I have to say it's surprised me since I started watching. She's very pretty, although at the same time if you're really looking for it you can tell she's TG. She was actually post op for only a couple months before she went on the show. She's really a very good representation of what your average transperson is like to me. She's a gaming and computer geek, she's a black belt in karate, and she's in love with a guy who accepts her as she is. To me she's like one of the best TG people they could have picked to put on there. She's into doing TG activism and is open about herself, and telling parts of her story on TV. She's one of the first trans people that I know of to be on such a mainstream show. That in it'self is great, but she's also portraying the TG community as a whole to be just like anyone else who isn't. Aside from everything she's been through just to be the woman she always knew she was, she's not very different than any non TG person. I wish we hadd more people like her on TV, because I've seen all the good comments people have left her on the MTV site. I don't normally do commentary on stuff like this, but it's been a real inspiration to me lately. I think it should be to all TG people. She's got the courage to go on mainstream TV and tell the world she's TS, that takes some serious guts. It gives me the inspiration to keep going with my dreams, and be as active as possible in activism. I have to be the change I want to see don't I?

No comments: