About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New ID

I finally got my ID updated today. I went to DMV this morning and got a new one, so now I can concentrate on getting the paperwork for the name change done. The only part of it that really scares me is that I have to write a letter stating why I want it changed. I considered telling exactly why, but the way people are in this county I'm thinking I better just give the classic I'm not happy with my name. I have a friend who knows a lot about legal stuff, so she's going to help me write it, with no mention of me being TG. I'm going through all the proper channels for this stuff, but I honestly don't trust the judges around here to give me an unbias opinion. The area is full of baptist, and Methodist churches and, republican conservative rednecks, so I'll take my chances by just telling the partial truth. Hopefully I'll have moved out of this area by the time I need to get my sex legally changed. I can only imagine the fiasco that would cause around here. It would probably be the first time they'd have ever done it in this county. Oh well, luckily the name I picked is fairly androgynous, so I'm hoping it won't raise too many eyebrows at the courthouse. I'll probably take a couple weeks to get everything filled out anyway, just to make sure I get it right, and so I can have people who know more about the legal system than me look it all over. I want to get this right the first time around, 52 bucks is a lot to blow on a rejection, so I need to word everything very carefully. I'm sure it will probably get looked at more closely than most other name changes since I'm changing the first and middle but not the last. Most of them that happen around here I'm sure just last names from marriage. I've at least got the wheels turning on this, so I feel at least somewhat accomplished. The sooner I can get all this legal stuff out of the way the sooner I can get started on more of the physical changes I want to make. I've spent the last 2 1/2 years learning how to love myself, now I have to make the dreams I have come true. This makes me think of something I wrote in one of my journals back when I first got started with everything. "I want to be the best woman I can be, and to be happy with myself. I've got a new life coming, hard though it may be, I still want it." I guess now is one of those times where I really have to be persistant, and ride it out until the end. My life has gotten more complicated in the 2 years since I wrote that, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm getting my fresh start, and this time I'm not going to waste time in self pitty.

No comments: