About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman who also happens to have bipolar disorder. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that myself and others like me, face every day.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Name Change News

I thought this was worth writing about, because I finally have some very good help with things. I found out Monday that my boyfriend's dad's fiance is a public notary, and she works in a legal office. So she volunteered to sign everything for me and check it over to see that I had done it right. She even offered to write up the letter for me. She got all the numbers from the papers and checked them out online to see what she could do, and the damn application is out of date. That's right, the courthouse in my county gave me an outdated name change application. I mean what the fuck! It's supposed to be their job to keep that stuff up to date and tell me what exactly I'm supposed to do for it when I ask. I also found out that I had to fill the application itself out at the clerks office so they could see me do it. That was another little piece of helpful info they left out. The instructions I got said bring everything back completed. How much more vague can you get? So she's printed out the updated one for me, and is writing the letter, and should be here anytime with it. It's like having a lawyer I don't have to pay for, and I'm so glad that she's helping me. Apparently I was completely lost before, thanks to the county clerks. I definitely would have been rejected filing outdated forms. I don't know what they're doing at the courthouse in my county, but someone needs to pay attention and do their job. Oh well, at the very least I know I'm doing things right now, and I've got someone helping me who knows the law. Hopefully this will turn out well after all, I really need it to.

No comments: