About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman who also happens to have bipolar disorder. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that myself and others like me, face every day.

Monday, January 12, 2009

I Did It

I went to the courthouse this morning and picked up the paperwork to change my name. It's going to take a while, but at least I have the stuff to do it with now. I have to fill out a form and send it to the state police for a criminal background check, and once that goes through and comes back to me I just bring everything back to the courthouse filled out. It's going to cost about 52 bucks in all for that. I don't know what other fees I might get stuck with later, but so far it's not too bad. I think I am going to have to go before a judge though, the paper that has to be filled out for the order of the change has a line for a judge to sign. I'm hoping it will just have to be looked at by one and reviewed and I won't have to actually go to court. I've got to get my ID updated though. I've only got my expired learners permit, and they want a copy of a drivers license. I'm hoping they will accept a photo ID instead, they should, I mean the purpose of one is for people who have no drivers license. I guess I'll find out, at least they don't cost more than like 10 bucks. I just have to get to DMV sometime and get that taken care of. I also have to write a letter stating why I want the name change, and sign it and I guess have one of the clerks sign it also. It's going to be a little complicated, but I think I have it figured out pretty well. It's not so much complicated as it is just time consuming. I fill out one sheet, mail it and wait, then when I get that I submit it all and wait. So it's mostly a lot of waiting. But that seems to be what half of transition is, having the patience to wait for it all to get done. I hope it's all over with by June at least. I'm still kind of scared since I have to write that letter. I live in a pretty rural county of the state, so you never know when you're going to run into someone closed minded enough to have a problem with me. I don't even think the person who helped me this morning could tell I was TG, if she did she must not have really cared. I hope that's how they handle all of this. I mean I'm supposed to be able to trust the legal system aren't I? There is no legal reason I shouldn't be able to change my name, so I shouldn't have anything to worry about if the people processing this follow the law. But you never know with this country, either way I guess I have to take a leap of faith, so to speak, and just do this and hope it goes well. I'm not really depressed anymore, apprehensive maybe, but not depressed. So I think doing something to better myself seems to have worked.

2 comments:

Lori D said...

Wow, BIG congrats!

Shinigami Liz said...

Let's see, so far I have spent $450 (lawyer), $130 (initial filing cost ), $120 (publish intent in newspaper), and $??? (court costs to see judge). And I signed the initial documents on 09/18/08 and am currently waiting on the courts to set me a court date although they have had the final paperwork for over a week. That has been my experience so far on that process in Indiana. Hopefully yours will go easier and faster. And congratulations on finally getting the ball rolling.