About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Friday, November 21, 2008

Transgender Day of Remembrance

I know I'm a day late writing anything about this. I had a pretty busy day yesterday, and when I finally had free time I broke down crying after watching a few videos on youtube. It was a pretty emotional night for me, I wouldn't really say I broke down though. That's a bit exagerated, more like just watched in silence and kept a straight face, but couldn't help letting the tears out. The day of remembrance means a lot to me, it makes me feel lucky just to be alive. And it also makes me despise those who would take our lives, just because we're different than them. I say the whole month of November should be dedicated to LGBT people. It sickens me to see so many people who have been killed in the last year alone, and to know the numbers are rising. It scares the hell out of me to know that anyone in the TG community has a 1 in 12 chance of being killed. I'm not sure just how accurate that is, but it's scary none the less. There's so much hate in this world, and it's killing our brothers, sisters, friends, wives, and husbands, it's riddiculous. I try not to dwell on it being a day of mourning though. I see it as a day of action just as much. It angers me to know how little attention is payed to these murders. Even if I never knew them, we had being transgendered in common, and that's enough reason for me to care. It makes me happy to see how this day unites so many of us. Because I see that as the first step towards fighting for our rights. I won't their deaths be in vain, because I will do everything I can to educate people about trans issues. I will continue to be publicly open about myself, out of shear defiance to any hate mongers who think they can dictate my life. I have never been physically harmed for being TG, but I've taken quite a bit of mental and emotional abuse from others over it. I hope I never experience anything more than that, because I feel sorry for the SOB who fucks with me. I will not become another name on a computer screen, or a statistic. I will fight with every breath left in my body to survive, and I will not stop until justice is done. I know that may be a bit unusual to say in regards to something like this, but it's how I feel. I hope and pray that I am never attacked, but I do swear to go down fighting should I ever be, and if I'm lucky I'll take them with me. Sorry, that was my angry rant. Anyway, don't let them have died in vain. Keep being yourselves, and educate those who need to be, those are our most powerful weapons against hatred. Dare to be you, demand your equality, and accept nothing less.

1 comment:

Shauna Baggtt said...

I want to share something with you regarding how I thought I was protected.
http://shaunabaggett.blogspot.com/2008/04/that-terrible-evening-in-october.html

Don't feel sorry for me, but the day of remembrance is a day I dread more than anyone. We all say some things like I will beat the SOB who ever tries anything but....I never walk in the darkness by myself anymore.