About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman who also happens to have bipolar disorder. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that myself and others like me, face every day.

Friday, July 11, 2008

Beauty (poem)

Beauty

there is a beauty within,
that for too long I've kept buried in pain and fear.
I made it ugly with the abuse I dealt it.
my paranoia and self hatred kept it hidden,
so that none could even glimpse it.
however, that beauty is part of me,
and to kill it, would be to kill myself.
I tried just that and failed,
unaware of the struggle that had begun.
the facade I had erected to hide myself
was slowly being eaten away.
the real me was fighting back, at long last.
the beauty refused to die,
and against all odds survived
to see it's prison walls come crumbling down.
that beauty was me, and thankfully is now all of me.
those years of imprisonment have taken their toll upon me,
but now I am free.
battle scarred, but alive and well.
I've learned a most important lesson as well.
I have to stop trying to fit in,
when I am so obviously born to stand out.

No comments: