About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman, and everyday life in general. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that transgender people face every day.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tomorrow

Well I have another therapy session to go to tomorrow. I'm hoping to talk about finding a doctor, but that is if my grandparents don't butt in too much. I told them about myself back in September, and doesn't seem to have sunk in enough with them yet. They've told me outright that they're ashamed of me, and don't understand what I'm doing. They say they're willing to accept it just to give them time, well it's been over 2 months and they're still no closer to that. I even got a book for them to read that's made for family members to read to help them understand and they refuse to read it. In all honesty I don't think they ever will accept it.

Tomorrow my main goal is to talk with my therapist about doctors. I've found several in the area that I know are qualified to prescribe hormones, it's all a matter of convincing them to help me. At the same time I have to hope that one of them is even willing to help me. The reason I've waited this long to look for a doctor is because I know all too often people like me are turned away when they ask for help. I'm not sure what if any resistance I'm going to encounter, but I'm ready to keep trying until I find someone that will help.

Pretty much what I need to do is find a doctor that's willing to help, then get another therapists opinion about me. I know they'll want someone that's had experience dealing with other people like me. So I've been looking up every place in the state that deals with transsexuals. I've found a few places and people, but not many. I'm not even sure if my insurance will cover this even if I can get shrinks to say I need the meds to help me.

Right now my best option is to get at least 2 shrinks to say that I have a mental illness and that I need the meds to treat it if I want insurance to possibly cover it at all. I resent calling this a mental illness, but hell, if it gets me help I will. I consider my body the problem, not my head. Unfortunately I'll be lucky to even get hormones covered. I know nothing else involving surgery would be covered.

So my status right now is I'm unemployed, living at home with my grandparents. I have no drivers license, and limited financial means to make any of this happen. I'm looking for a job and at the same time hopeing to find someone that can help me. So my situation isn't exactly ideal. I hate how the medical community seems to do nothing but take advantage of us financially. Everything comes with a cost attached. The saying that money can't buy happiness does not apply anymore to me. That's about all for now, I'll post some more tomorrow about how everything goes.

1 comment:

Wynnefox@yahoo.com said...

Hi there! Best of luck on getting started on your path!

I have been on it for 10 months now, just moved into Virginia from California and need to find a Doctor, let me know how things turn out :)