About:

It's my hope to post entries here about my life and experiences as a trans-woman who also happens to have bipolar disorder. This is my way of making my voice be heard, and bringing attention to the issues that myself and others like me, face every day.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Flaws in the System

Since nothing very exciting happened today I think I'll give an overview of my situation. As of now I've been self medicating myself with hormones for close to 5 months. I've seen noticeable results, but I'm still only taking a low dosage. By all means I should double the dose I'm taking, but I can't afford to buy them anymore frequently than I do now. It costs me $230 per order to get enough, because hormone replacement therapy is not covered by most medical insurance in this country.

While we're on the subject of insurance, it won't in fact cover any of what I'm about to do. I would honestly be lucky to get my insurance to cover the cost of hormones. According to most insurance companies gender reassignment is not necessary. Tell that to the 35% of us that commit suicide because they have nowhere else to turn.

The medical system of this country seems to be fine with exploiting us for money. Anything a transsexual needs done comes at a cost, and usually a high one. My hormones may not be much alone but it's just one of many things I have to pay for out of my own pocket to get this done. Unless you're rich being transsexual pretty much sucks. You can eventually be happy, but it comes at a high cost both financially and socially.

2 comments:

Wynnefox@yahoo.com said...

My medical coverage under Verizon Wireless (cigna OAP) covers my Spironolact (100mg x2 a day), I go to target and only pay $23/mo. estradiol (2mgx3 a day)is not covered but it only costs $14/mo at Target. Hopfully thats helpful. The Target in Manassas' Mall has a very open Pharmacy that is very polite and understanding.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you already know - check out Inhousepharmacy.com (aka inhousedrugstore.com).

Might cut down on your out of pocket costs a little, and you can find dosing guidelines online. ;-)